Wednesday, January 19, 2011

HOW DARE YOU!

So I have decided that my boss/the CEO of the company i work for is the most hateful woman alive! She loves to embarrass people in front others just to make herself feel good. Shes quite happy to lie through her teeth or deny she has said something in the past to protect what ever ridiculous thing she has come up with at present. She will tell us to do things at work or tell us that she wants us to do something differently from now on and then months down the track (sometimes even days) she will tell us we are doing things "completely wrong" and talk to us a like a bunch of dim witted arse holes and then completely contradict what she had told us to do by coming up with something new. But to her it isn't new , to her it is the way we should have always been doing things and she will deny deny deny that she has EVER told us otherwise.




I felt the full force of her nastiness on Monday.

Every week each manager is supposed to hold a 15 minute meeting with their team to go over performance figures from the previous week and set new goals. For most team leaders this ends up just being a catch up from the weekend- but for me I choose to do them fortnightly and for half an hour so that we can actually accomplish something. So we discuss our goals and expectations and then normally we play a team building game and I always link the game in with an aspect of their work so this week it was the need to think 'laterally' sometimes in order to progress. For every single team building session I have done with this team we have used the companies training room which happens to be connected to the CEO's office. Every time we have done these games the noise has been a little loud but it has been laughter and only for a max of 10 minutes (most of the time only about 5). I dont tell them to quieten down because the game is their time and I want them to be able to feel like it is okay to have some fun at work. Every single time i have done this I have been met with no qualms about the noise from the CEO.

Apparently Monday was a different story. My senior manager came out of the CEO's office and asked me to keep it down as they were in  a meeting- which was fair enough andI could see her point. i was just in the middle of doing something that needed my full attention for all of 30seconds then i was going to tell them to quieten down... I got as far as "Okay guys!" and the CEO comes storming out of her office and says to me in front of my whole team:

"Um these are our offices and we actually work during the day" in the most condescending tone ever!  Actually work! As if I don't do a lions share of the bull crap work that Im not even paid to do. As if I dont take work home with me that isnt even mine to do. As if I dont work 50 hours most of the time and only get paid for 40.

What a whore faced bitch.



So i turned to my team and said to them "My mistake guys- I thought this was the training room. My Fault we'll go into the break room." Just to get some sort of reaction but I dont think she heard me so I took my team into the break lounge and we finished off our team building session and it went well considering our interruptions. As soon as we had finished and I was back at my desk and everyone was busy working and senior manager came over to me and told me that I was no longer to use the training room for my think tank meetings and that I need to learn to control my team quicker.

Not only was i pissed that I had been kicked out of the one room that's sole purpose is for those kinds of meeting but the bitch then tried to say that i cant control my team. I guess that is why they managed to go through 4 managers in the space of 1 year before they got me. I guess thats why I have managed to increase their profit margins by a good 75-100% consistently for 2 years.

So I sent her this email:

"I appreciate that you work in your office during the day and I appologise profusely for 
the noise today. However, I do not appreciate being spoken to in such a condescending 
manner in front of my team. I was about to ask them to quieten down when you came out and I am unimpressed that I was not even given a chance by you to ask them to be quiet. I am not the only person who has an issue with the way you spoke to me as several of my staff made comments as we exited the room.

Forgive me for thinking that that training room should actually be used for training and the chill out room be used for entitled breaks. I have held many training sessions in this room with similar noise levels and have not been asked to quieten down. So this discontent comes as a shock to me. At the end of the day these staff ARE the company and I am doing my utmost to keep them interested and educated and I appologise if this gets 
in the way of other peoples work for a small time out of their day."

Okay so it was kind of rude but she needed to get the message that just because she is the CEO she doesnt get to treat people like that. And if I let her get away with it she will forever try to walk all over me like she does to our HR lady, our Receptionist and our Senior Manager. No way in hell am I having that- I dont give a fuck who you are- common decency is not a hard thing!!!

So anyway she reads it and 30 minutes later Im in her office getting literally screamed at- She was so furious with my email she was shaking and she sounded like she was about to cry. The trick with her is that when she does this most people cry or have a break down- and by most I mean that the 5 or 6 times i have seen her do it that has been what has happened. I wasn't going to let this get me down at all so I concentrated on my breathing, completely tuned her out and just stared her down. Forget giving me a chance to have my say once she was done screaming she dismissed me. 




All I can remember her saying was "HOW DARE YOU!" when I walked in like she was my fucking mother or something. So basically she doesnt exist to me any more- she wants/expects me to do all these favors for her i.e. starting up a social media campaign and designing a new web site because I know how to do it and it cheaper to get me to than to hire someone to do it. But she expects me to do it in my own time without pay- before I was quite happy for the experience for my CV but now I have told my manager that Im not doing anything more than my job as a Team Manager . Because Im the only one in the company that has any kind of knowledge on that stuff she is basically fucked and will need to pay someone like $200 an hour where as she could have had it for free. 

4 comments:

  1. The e-mail was a bit too blunt maybe. Confrontation is not always a good way of expressing your feelings, especially when it comes to management. Management will always stick together no matter what, so be careful when going against them.

    How's it going with your CV application? I did not see anything mentioned or did I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck that shit! You did the right thing. So many of us let people get away with that shit and it just aint right! I must say I don't think I would have put it exactly that way but it sounds like this has been coming for awhile now so fuck her!

    New Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man..everyone hates their boss nowadays..
    I hate mine too...

    but hey i think its so great that you have the guts to send her that email, and I agree, just because shes the CEO,doesnt mean she can treat staff like shit!
    and i dont think the email was that rude anyway... not many people stand up for themselves in their workplace...so good on you!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY i LOVE comments!!

    @Kemptoo Im not too worried about the Management thing as they all basically hate her and we are all quite tight. Also update my CV is now all done and I have sent it away to three places... got a rejection letter back the other day. Sucks to be them since their current social media campaign in a breach of the terms on the platform they use... so I may try get it closed down since their Marketing person seems to have no fucking clue what theyre doing. See there are some advantages to hiring young recent graduates... we know how to keep with the times.

    @Anonymous Yeah thinking about it now it probably wasnt the best way to word an email to the woman who pays my wages but at least the message got accross and thinking back I wouldnt have changed a single thing in the email I wrote.

    @Vinchi Thanks for the support! I hope ur boss isnt as much of a she-cunt as mine is :) if so make sure you DO stick up for yourself because its not right that people think they can abuse their power in that way.

    ReplyDelete