Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Making Plans

As a recent graduate I get asked with monotinous regularity what I want to do with my life... The more I am asked this the more I find myself asking the same question... What do I want to do with my life?


When I was 5 I wanted to be in the Army
By the time I was 10 I wanted to work with horses
At the age of 13 I wanted to be an architect
Four years later I wanted to be a graphic designer
Now Im 21 and Im not sure of anything!



Experience has taught me I get bored easily and I like to change my mind often and at random.

This time last week I decided that I didnt hate my job so much and was thinking of staying a bit longer but today I loathe it and cant wait to find another.... But what kind of job do I want?
Advertising sounds cool... so does PR or working in the communications sector..... Journalism or web development have even started to grow on me. But different days and moods seem to dictate where I want to be!

I have been obsessed with Gilmore Girls over the last few weeks and have now decided I am jealous of how organised Rory is and how she knows exactly what she wants to be doing with her life after study- Rory wants to be a journalist (which could explain my recent fascination). It makes me wonder- and I know its only a soap- but is it even humanly possible to pick a profession and know that it is the right thing for you, for life?

I will never forget the worst bit of career advice I was ever given tome by one of my teachers; "People change their careers all the time- don't stress over what you think you should be doing for the rest of your life at your age" keep in mind that I was an impressionable 17 year old at the time.... Some times I like to blame this teacher for the lax attitude I have towards planning the next step in my life.

Ofcourse it matters what I want to do with my life! I should have started planning this a long time ago- sure I wouldnt be earning the money I am at the moment but I would probably be somewhere that I actually enjoy- thanks to my crap attitude and poor planning skills I have no idea what that is!

The only thing I seem to be sure of is the fact that I want to travel!





South America here I come! So I was asked in an older post where in Sth Am I would like to visit- here is my plan:


Brazil:
Start in Rio de Janeiro
Pantanal via Campo Grande
Ecuador:
Quito and the market in Otavalo
Galapagos Islands

Peru:
Iquitos to see the Amazon
Lima
Cuzco
Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
Lake Titicaca (Peru side)
Colca Canyon

Chile:
San Pedro de Atacama
Santiago
Easter Island 
Valparaiso and Vina del Mar

Argentina:
Mendoza and skiing in Las Lenas
Buenos Aires
Iquazu Falls (Brazil side too if possible)
End in Buenos Aires for flight to the US to visit friends in Utah and Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment