Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fucking Telemarketers

So we all get them- those calls that interrupt your dinner from strangers who you just know are trying to sell you something or get you to answer questions about something you couldn't actually give two shits about.

Well heres the inside scoop! I work in a call center which rings people to get donations for charities. We are the people everyone loves to hate.... and to be fair- I hate us too. But what do you do when you get one? Are you a yeller? are you a polite listener? do you let us down gently? 

TIP 1- 

Me personally- if I know for sure I'm not interested- I hang up straight away. In my experience I prefer the people who hang up on me... Most people feel bad about doing this but not only do you avoid a lengthy conversation about the weather and your plans for a weekend but the person calling would probably prefer it if you keep the rejection quick and to the point.

TIP 2- 

If you say no they WILL come back at you. Most people that do this hate this part of the job so go easy. 
One thing that really shits me is when people say "Did you not just hear me?" or the "Do you not understand what I am saying?" I hear you bitch... I just don't care! Basically this is the "selling" part of the job- they will give you what is known as 'Features and Benefits' The whole point behind these is to present your reason for not buying something or doing what ever they want you to do in a different light with reasons on how they can still achieve the same outcome - i.e. you donating in our case- but make it easier for you. The best thing to do in this situation is to simply say "I'm not interested" don't make up excuses- we can all tell when you are lying (we speak to hundreds of people every day trust me we can tell). The more excuses you give the more selling points they will be able to use. Less IS more in your case!

TIP 3-

The aim of the calling game is to take control of the call most telemarketers will in training be told to "Be assertive". Dont let them. Get them on the back foot by talking a little louder than you normally would. Dont confuse this with yelling - yelling just makes us angry and we will probably go to great lengths to piss you off just for the hell of it. Loud=strong, assertive, domineering. If you have children and you want them to do something that they dont want to do you raise your voice dont you? Same thing here!




TIP 4-

Be too nice! A lot of people find it hard in this job to push people into things if they're super nice. In my case- if I make friends with the person I call I feel bad about trying to get money out of them for a cause they've never heard of and probably don't care about. 

TIP 5- 

If the person is lucky enough to sucker you in- use silence to your advantage. Awkward silence is your friend. I always use this to get higher donations out of people. Basically the trick is you present the person with the different values starting highest and going down. In my case I have 5 different values but will only tell you about 3 of them- you guessed it the highest three. Not a lie; an omission! When i get to the 3rd one I stop and wait for a response- you are probably waiting for me to give you a lower amount but I am using the silence to my advantage. Most people I call hate awkward silence and are quick to fill it. This can work for you as well- most callers hate awkward silence- if they do have any backups or deals they can give you they will be quick to tell you about them rather than risk losing a deal.

TIP 6-

Want to have a bit of fun? Piss off the person calling you? Forget their name. Find something very similar and start using that. Better yet find something that sounds nothing like it and use that! I work with one lady who's name is Andrea and every day she gets something new, it really pisses her off. 

On top of this if you do want to listen to the whole call ask as many questions you can- hammer them and really test their knowledge make sure they're really earning their money!

This weekend has been AMAZING- a 9.5 on a scale of 1-10!!! Day at the races on Saturday- drinking from 11 to 11. I love to dress up fancy and even did my hair real classic like- debonair is how I would describe me! Managed to cut my foot deep and forget how it happened! Sunday (today) had a date with Azza... yes there is yet another guy! This one I was set up through a woman at work... you remember Dee- well her. Azza is really cute and told me I had the cutest smile and gorgeous eyes... possibly a bit full on for my liking but possibly the SWEETEST guy I have ever met- a little nervous but in a cute way! So watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment